University Of Louisville Hospital
In May 1999 UofL Health Care was born but in name only. In actuality, UofL Health Care has a long, distinguished history. It began in 1817 when the General Assembly of Kentucky passed an act to establish the Louisville Hospital Company. The hospital began admitting patients in 1823. In 1870 the Louisville General Council recognized the need to attract more private-pay patients and appropriated over $39,000 in remodeling funds. By 1873 the hospital was known as Louisville City Hospital.
In May 1999, University Hospital, the James Graham Brown Cancer Center and University Physicians Group joined under the brand name UofL Health Care. This change signified a closer relationship with the UofL School of Medicine.
Although the name and management of the hospital have changed throughout the years, the goal of serving the community with innovative techniques and treatments has always remained the same.