In 1881 a group of concerned citizens under the direction of the Mayor, Royal Pulsifer, and a local pastor, Reverend George Shinn, formed a corporation to establish a Cottage Hospital in [newton]. The Cottage Hospital system was based on the British theory that country residents would be more likely to accept care in smaller hospitals built as cottages rather than large institutions.
On June 5, 1886, the Newton Cottage Hospital opened its doors. The first patient was admitted a week later. Over 100 years later, Newton-Wellesley Hospital continues to provide high quality health care services to its community. The hospital is [boston]'s western suburbs' most comprehensive medical center, a non-profit organization offering patients a wide range of medical, surgical, obstetric, psychiatric, pediatric, and subspecialty care. The medical staff of the hospital includes nearly 1,000 physicians practicing a full range of specialties.
Articles about this hospitalNewton-Wellesley Hospital